Wednesday, November 13, 2013

For a swap: Sock Hammerhead Shark

Oh yeah!

I've been wanting to make one of these for a while but since I didn't have a reason to make it, it just fell to the wayside.  But the minute I had a reason (in the form of a sock creature swap) it was ON.

Wait, first let me share the link to the pattern and tutorial.  HERE.

(I'm so putting the book that pattern comes from on my christmas list)


Basking on a towel on my porch.  It had snowed so I didn't wan him/her to get dirty (or cold!).


Jeepers creepers, where'd you get those peepers!

From Wheezies Cove (aka "the best thrift store ever").  They are perfect for this pattern.


Swimming in the air.  Is that technically called flying?  Wait, I thought this was a hammerhead shark not a flying fish?  Oh, the confusion!

You can see I added one little extra to my shark (that wasn't in the pattern).


SMILE!

The original pattern didn't have a mouth but COME ON.  Sharks (of all creatures) need mouths.  And it's super easy to just stitch one on at the very end.

I love this shark.  So much so, I almost don't want to give it away.  But I know I can make others and they'll be every bit as cute.

The pattern/tutorial isn't one of the best written I've ever seen.  It's not very beginner friendly.  It kind of assumes you know what you're doing or that you'll just figure some stuff out.  And it's not very clear or accurate in spots.  Like the step where you make the head you make it from the toe portion of the sock but there's not a lot of info about placement of the pattern piece or any of that.  It also has you cut out two pieces then sew them together but I've found that's a pain in the butt when working with really stretchy fabric like socks.  It's better to trace the shape onto the whole toe piece and then sew around the traced line instead of dealing with all the rolling that will happen if you cut each piece out and then sew them back together.

But all in all the tutorial worked because I got a great finished product.  But it would be better with a few asides with tips and tricks (like the trace and sew method).

I have a feeling I'll be making more of these.  It gives me an excuse to buy more knee socks (I just love buying them!).



No comments:

Post a Comment