Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Buying Ban (or fabric fast)

Inspired by Jess at The Elven Garden, I'm joining in on her Fabriholics Anonymous goal to not buy any new fabric for 6 months (beginning January 1).

BUT. . .I have to make a few amendments to her list of exceptions (to make them better fit my needs).

But first, the rules as she set them for herself:

FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning January 1, 2014.   
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year.  Evaluation July 1, 2014.
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
4) Exceptions
  • Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible.  However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
  • Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric.  Notions acceptable too.
  • Swap Mama Fabric: if hosting a swap you are permitted to by fabric to execute swap duties, but you may not join a swap simply for the sake of being able to buy fabric!
  • Quilts for Publication: if you are making a quilt for a publication and need certain fabric to execute it correctly then that is a major exception - who can blame you?


I just need to amend the "exceptions" a tiny bit.

MY Exceptions:

--Backing:  still ok to buy but better not to if you can help it.
--Notions acceptable.  Includes beads and bobbles used for making toys/dolls (and stuffing).  (I don't buy books/mags much so that's not really applicable to me).
--Felt:  I don't stash a lot of felt, so if I need some to do a project that is an acceptable purchase.

EDITED:

I edited this post on 12/18 to reflect my new exceptions (which are much smaller).

I'm now linking this up and actively participating since my exceptions are more in line with the original exemptions.

I'm really going to focus on finishing up UFOs and destashing.  I really need to tidy up my craft room and I know there is at least one decent pile of fabric I can part with (meaning just take right to the thrift shop--it's stuff folks gave to me "because you sew" so it's nothing fancy).

This challenge ties in nicely with my FY14 Charity Sewing Challenge, too.  

3 comments:

  1. I've just officially joined in too, and I have added a couple of exceptions to suit my situation too. I'm glad I'm not the only one to do so, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just signed up too. So far so good, but it's only 3 days in. My stash and WIPS are out of control, so I hope this will help.

    Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am organizing scraps today. I have lots and lots of scraps. So far no urges to go out and buy fabric.

    ReplyDelete