Thursday, October 3, 2013

PAINTING!! Little Portraits Progress Report

Holy guacamole, it's been a long time since I've painted.  I had a nice break but now I'm back and ready to finish up the Little Portraits.

Last night I did a tiny bit of finishing up work on Priscilla's portrait but it's so subtle I didn't think it would be noticeable so I didn't get a pic.  I'm still not satisfied with that portrait.  The eye patch is just BAD.  (I'm hyper critical of my paintings, I think I've only truly liked one of them and even then that means I just critique it a little less than the others).

I did get some great progress made on Super Worm.

BEFORE:


AFTER:


Definite progress.  The pic is a little dark because I didn't take it on the easel.  Seems the art center decided to get rid of pretty much all the stools, opting instead for folding chairs.  The problem is, my canvases are so small I can't clamp them to the easel and paint while seated in a low folding chair (the top clamp on the easel doesn't drop low enough to secure the canvas).  BOO to that.  I'll just have to take my own stool to and from class.  No biggie.  If I work on a bigger canvas for my next painting, the chair thing probably won't be an issue.

Ok, enough about chairs.

I really worked the green on Super Worm.  I'd say the majority of my time on this painting was on the green.  Then I added the whites of the eyes and worked the red a bit.  Despite how it appears, I didn't work the background color at all last night (the pic is just dark).  I'm happy with the progress I made.

But now I need to really think about my next project.  Super Worm is such a small canvas that I need to work a second project at the same time.  I think I'm tired of the small canvases and want to go back to a more classic sized one.  I kind of want to do a long rectangular one again (like the canvas used for Baby Elephant Walk).  But I can't decide the subject.  Part of me wants to keep with my theme of painting the items I sew but another part of me is bored to tears by that.  All I know for sure is I have to paint from a photo (because my free hand painting/drawing suck-diddly-ucks).

SO. . .time to start thinking about a new subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment