Ok, progress report time.
Wow. Seeing the photos side by side, this little canvas really changed last night. The colors are getting more toward what I want. I want the overexposed part of the head to be really bright but still have a green tone to it (it looks straight white in the photo). Overall the green is getting closer to the real tone (which is a chartreuse). The red is coming along, too. I'm really liking the background, too. I want it to be a contrast to the highly blended part, so the background is going to be very "flat" in comparison. I also wanted a very defined straight line to mimic the windows in the photo but not get into all the details of the windows (I didn't do any detailing in the backgrounds of the other little portraits).
I'm happy with the progress. I can't believe I spent a solid two hours on just this wee canvas. I thought for sure I'd need to have another canvas to work, but I was wrong.
(but I will need to get my thoughts together for a new canvas. . .I swear that's the hardest part of the whole process).