I've set a bunch of creative goals for the new year.
To start, I'm joining Vrooman's Quilts Let's Book It 2015.
It's super simple. Once a month you make something from a pattern/book you already have. I already have my January project picked out. I've decided to reveal the book (or pattern) I chose for the month when I reveal the finished project.
The project doesn't have to be from an actual book, either. It can be a pattern you bought (not in a book) or a free pattern/tutorial you saved "for later". Guess what? Later is NOW.
In fact, I have projects already lined up for the next few months. I figured I should plan ahead so I could make sure I have all the supplies before the time to make the project actually arrives. That said, I'm doing my best to use stash items. But some projects might need a notion I don't have (or have enough of) so I'm allowing for purchases for Book It projects.
That leads to one of my other 2015 creative goals:
I'm not going on an official fabric fast just yet but I'm also not going to be doing any random purchasing, either. But I want to use my stash as much as possible but I'm leaving the door open to do a tiny bit of buying if I find crazy good deals on things I already have on my wish list. But it has to be a crazy good deal. CRAZY.
OK, let's make this a proper list:
2015 Creative Goals:
1. Let's Book It 2015. One project (minimum) per month. I added the minimum because some of my books have projects that are really fast and easy (like done in a few hours) so I want to make multiple projects in those cases.
2. UFO completion. I want to try and double dip with the Book It challenge to finish a few items that I started. I have a quilt top that fits into that category (I'd finish it and do another easy pattern like it for it to count as my Book It). I also have a stuffed toy project that I pulled the fabric for (and prepped the pattern by assembling it) but haven't actually done any stitching.
3. Stash Busting. I want to use from my stash as much as possible for all Book It projects. But I will buy things if I do need them for a specific project. (note: I need to buy some felt in a few colors I'm out of, so I plan to do a felt project so I can make one big felt purchase--that's the kind of buying I'm talking about, not buying just to hoard).
4. Fluff Project. I want to make (minimum) 60 stuffed toys this year. That's 5/month. I really want to do way more than that (and hopefully will) but I'm officially signing up for 60 for the year. The Book It challenge will help with that, too. I have a lot of patterns I've been meaning to try out and now I will (and maybe work them into my Fluff sewing).
5. Reading. I'm adding this here just because I can. I want to read 12 books this year. I know that's not very lofty, but I'm setting the bare minimum very low to make it highly achievable. That's one book a month. TOTALLY doable. As I finish a book, I'll note it here.
6. New Skills. I want to work with half square triangles and free motion quilting this year. I'm sure I'll find a few patterns that I can do for Book It that will have me trying out the two new things I'm most keen on trying.
7. New craft and techniques. I want to work with polymer clay a bit more (got some for christmas) and experiment with fabric paints and pens.
I think that's about it for now. I do have a specific list of projects I want to work on/finish but I'll address them here as I complete them.
Let's get creative!