I got two swap things done last night.
First up, the quicker of the two (did it all in an hour or so last night).
Just a simple dotee.
The theme was "flower" so it had to have at least one flower on the body somewhere. Either made from flower print fabric or adorned in some way.
I got that pretty flannel in another swap (earlier in the day) and I just liked it so much I had to use it right away. It's really soft which I thought was nice for a flower theme.
Kawaii style face (which is kind of my thing). Just a simple flower shape with some embroidery.
Bead flower details.
The stem is just embroidery (I just randomly stitched). Then I put the beads on based on where I stopped with the stems.
It just kind of randomly worked out that I went large to small going down the stem. I think it looks cute.
Super simple but very classic in style (with a little kawaii twist).
Next up, the art doll I've been working on for a few days now.
"Love" art doll:
The theme was "love". So you could go with classic valentines/romantic love (reds/pinks/hearts/cupid) or any route you wanted as long as you could tie it to "love" in some way.
I didn't want to do another valentines themed doll (been there, done that with the zombie cupid) but I did want to have hearts. Then I found this fabric in my stash (I think I just got this from one of my swaps) and it was perfect. Printed with sparkly hearts (and "love") but not in the classic colors.
So I decided to go with a generic "love" theme and make a pattern I had been wanting to try (a pattern I got from another swap) and have the doll be a theme of "what I love" which is trying new patterns and sewing.
I knew what fabric I wanted and the pattern but the rest was just up in the air. What was I going to embellish the doll with?
At first I was toying with cats (since I do love them) but the cats I usually make were too kawaii/cutesy for this more artsy doll.
Then I found some new ribbon at Target and one of them was just begging to be made into a crown. So now I was heading in a fairy/pixie direction. I was ok with that (but didn't want to do wings). I was also fretting because the head was just plain UGLY. I knew I needed a wig but was hemming and hawing about it (because the head is an odd shape).
So I went and checked out my yarn and low and behold I had the perfect yarn for a simple wig. Frizzy yarns hide a multitude of sins when making wigs.
I just wrapped the yarn around my forearm (like you would wrap a cord up) and then tied it off in the center. I stitched the "part" down to the head and then randomly stitched it to the head making sure it was spread out nicely to hide the scalp.
I had already decided to use the ribbons (trailing off the crown) before I made the wig so I decided to keep them but just put them randomly into the wig instead of as a train from the crown (since it was getting bulky at that spot on the head).
So now it was looking like a decent doll but there was something missing.
The legs are SO long and they just needed something. Stitches or beads or something.
YES, beads. Flower beads!
I thought about running them down each leg but then the anklet idea came up and it was definitely the right choice (wave to the cat hair there on the foot--that's a hair from my Olive, she's a devon rex so her hairs are little and bristly).
All said and done, I really like this doll. I'm glad she doesn't have a face, too. I think it adds to her "muse" feel. That's what I'm calling her, a Muse Doll. Very appropriate to have her posed near my sewing machine and crafting stuff.
I hope she's well received.