Thursday, May 2, 2013

Who Farted?

Yeah, I could have titled this "what I did instead of painting" but I didn't.

There will be no progress report on the Little Portraits because I skipped class so I could work on some sewing projects I need to get done.

I'm happy to report, I put those three hours I normally spend painting to good use.  I made a big dent in the charity sewing I need to get done so I can mail it no later than Monday (I'm making a few more stuffed toys for the April Hopeful Threads challenge).  I'll show those off when they're done.

I DID get the other project totally DONE.

So what was so blessed important that I needed to skip the painting class I PAY to take?

I present:

My Kentucky Derby Hat.


"What the hell?," you ask?  "Is that what I think it is?"

Oh yes, yes it most certainly is.

It's a unicorn farting a rainbow.


AND, the ties are made from mustache print ribbon.

Oh, and that is most definitely glitter on there.  Little shred glitter that looks like something Etsy vomited up and then tried to cover with cheap felt.

But I'l have you know, it's not made entirely from cheap felt.  The unicorn is made from the good wool blend stuff.

STOP.

Close up time!


(insert "horny" joke here)

Check out that fabulous horn, would ya.  Want to know its secret?  It's a toothpick.  Not even a whole toothpick either.  About 2/3 of a toothpick I jabbed up through the head piece and then dabbed a bit of glue at the base to keep it steady.  The sparkles?  It's some funky trim I had in my stash.  It's on a spool like ribbon but it has two wires (one on each side) connected with tinsel like strips.  I cut the wires apart (so each would have some tinsel jabbing off of it) and then wound it around the tooth pick.  Badda bing, badda bang, badda sparkly unicorn horn.

The eyes are sequins.  The nostrils are just two ink dots.  (sidebar:  I scored some Sharpie fabric pens on clearance at Target and they're pretty sweet).

The mane is just embroidery floss.  You wrap it around a bit of cardboard (the width you want the hair to be) and then dab some glue on one of the long edges.  Once the glue is dried you remove the cardboard (fold it and gently remove the glued on hair) and then cut the loop (on the non-glued side).  Sew it into the horses neck hiding the glued side.  The mane wanted to stand on end (it came out a bit shorter than I anticipated--I didn't take into account having to hid the 1/4 inch or so of glued part) so I painted a bit of glue along the top of the neck and pressed the mane into it and painted a bit of glue on the top of the mane, too.  I highly recommend felt glue.  It dries perfectly clear and doesn't make felt stiff.

The base is just a piece of cardboard (from a cereal box) covered in cheap felt.  I mean it, it's the super cheap crap.  I glued it down and then did a blanket stitch around the edge.

And the rainbow?


Cheap felt, too.

To be honest I wasn't overly concerned with how perfect this hat came out.  I kind of wanted a truly homemade feel to it so the cheap felt was the way to go.  Also, you can get some seriously bright colors if you get the cheap stuff.

The best part?  I didn't have to buy one thing to make this.  All the supplies were in my stash.

POOT (oops, I mean WOOT).

The only small issue I'm having now is how to keep it from falling off my giant pumpkin head.  I recently got my hair cut short so I'm not sure if a few hair pins (on the underside) will even hold in my hair.  Hell, I'm not that worried.  I'll just have to have perfect posture to insure my hat is properly displayed at all times.

I can't wait to show this off.  My sister is going to shit!

(OH, you can get the horse pattern at Nuno Life.  HERE)


1 comment: