Tuesday, January 22, 2013

For a swap: Unique Holiday Dotee

This was made for a swap bot swap.  The parameters were Unique February Holiday (excluding valentines day). 

There's a whole little website the host uses for these unique holiday dotees which makes he whole process so easy.  February was loaded with a lot of good ideas but the one that stuck with me was:

National Organ Donor Day.


I really love this dotee.

The original sketch was to make it more like the game Operation, with the doll portion on a little square bed.  But the pattern I had (yes, it's jut a generic gingerbread man shape) was right at the top of the size limits (6 inches) so I scrapped the Operation idea and just went with the basic body with organs.

Represented are those organs most commonly (and easily--well, if any organ donation can be considered "easy") donated by LIVE donors.  Lung, liver, kidneys, bone and bone marrow.  Just for clarification, live donors don't donate whole lungs or livers.  They usually only donate bits of those organs (and livers can regenerate!).  I was going to add a heart, but heart donations by live donors really only happen in cases of heart/lung transplants, so they aren't as common.

The doll is all felt with polyfil stuffing.  The tail is completely beaded with a big bead at the bottom.  I got some bubble like beads for another dotee I'm planning (a "bathtime" dotee) so I figured why not use one here.  I'm still not very good with the tails.  I think it's because I just don't care for them much in general.  But this does give me a chance to use up some of the sead beads I have, so that's a good thing.

I didn't get a snap of the back, but I did add two patches to the back.  One noting what holiday it's for and the other with my name.  Signing your creation was a requirement of the swap, so I had to do it.  Normally I don't care to sign them.  I did finally get a fabric pen, but it doesn't stay well on felt so I had to make a cotton patch and adhere it with heat and bond (after writing on it).  It turned out well (but it's not fancy at all).

I hope the recipient likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment