Friday, September 28, 2012

Double Dipping: Making cloth bags!

Remember the post about the Green Bag Flash Mob?

Well, I just found a GREAT way to double dip.  To make bags for the Flash Mob and for another charity:



The Pittsburgh Tote Bag Project collects bags for use by local food pantries.  So they give out the donations in a reusable bag to help reduce plastic bag consumption (and spread the word about using cloth bags instead).

How fabulous is THAT. 

The best part is, there is no requirement for the bag (don't have to use a particular pattern) so I can use the Green Bag Lady pattern (which I like a lot and am familiar with) and whip out bags easy as pie.

I also found the Satchels of Caring Foundation.  I requested more info from them because they do have their own pattern they like used.  I really prefer to be able to just make bags and give them and not have to volunteer in person, so I need to know if that's an option as well.  The only thing I don't care for about this charity is their affiliation with Susan G Komen.  I'm not a fan of The Pink Monster, but I could overlook it if Satchels of Caring fits my other requirements (easy pattern, don't have to volunteer in person, etc).

But for now I'm totally going with Pittsburgh Tote Bag Project since I can donate on my time (and anonymously) by just dropping the bags off at the Food Co-Op or Construction Junction (there are other places, too).

I love being able to double dip projects.

I'm so happy I picked up that remnant when I was out shopping.  I got it just to make a bag (or bags) but didn't really NEED it for a bag of my own.  Now I can put it to good use.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot...I learned something new today (really...:-). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete