Monday, March 25, 2013

Dotee for a Swap: April Unique Holiday

This one is heading off to the post office in just a few minutes.  I finished it on Saturday.  And once again, I put it off and put it off fearing that I wouldn't be able to pull it off and then. . .BAM. . .I just sat down and did it in one go.

I love that.

This is for the April Unique Holiday Dotee:


Bet you didn't know there even was an 8 Track Tape Day, did you?

Or that it's on. . .


Dust off your favs and fire them up, folks!

But I hear you asking.  "Does this really look like an 8 track tape?"

Well, you be the judge.


I'm really pushing the boundaries of what can be considered a "doll" with this one.  But COME ON, people. 8 Track Tape Day?  How can you NOT make an 8 Track in celebration?  It would be WRONG to do anything less.

The base for the tape is some foam I found in my house (aka something slated for the trash but I've been too lazy to take it out to the curb--no, it wasn't gross or anything, must trash).  I hot glued two layers together to get the thickness right.  Then I cut and glued (oh, so much glue on this dotee) some faux leather (aka pleather) type fabric I had in my stash.  The "tape" end has a layer of pleather, the ribbon ("tape") and then another layer of pleather with cut outs to show the ribbon (had to trot out my xacto knife for that).  Then some more pleather wrapped around the body of the tape and folded over at the non-tape end.  The label is a square from a charm pack I had (put some fusing on the back to give it a bit more structure since I was gluing it down).  Since I needed a face on the doll, I clipped an image from some other fabric and fused that onto the label.  Write the particulars on it with a fabric pen and then glue the label onto the tape (trying to hide as many seams as possible in doing so).

The only sewing I did on this was to attach the hanger and tail.  It was all hot glue and fabric glue (fabric to attach the label--I thought hot glue might warp it, especially with the hot glue I have which was so hot it melted the foam!).

This one was really fun to make.  Really got me out of my sewn felt comfort zone.  That was a nice change of pace.

Now I just have to trot on over to the post office and mail it off.

Next up?

Dotee with Wings (partners are assigned on that and I kind of wanted to get it done for this post office run but I was lazy this weekend), Non-fabric dotee, Dr. Seuss dotee, and then Dorothy (for the Wizard of Oz series).

Time to get over to the post office so I can be first in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment