Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dotee for a Swap: Mmmm, Ice Cream

Time to show off a dotee.

This is for the July Unique Holiday swap:



I couldn't decide which of these sub par photos to use, so I'll use them both!

Mmm, ice cream!

July is national ice cream month and there are several different ice cream holidays on certain dates during the month.  I think this here ice cream cone might just qualify for Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day  (on July 1).  I don't know how yummy faux fur is (ok, it can't taste good) but it does make for a creative flavor.


This is one darn cute ice cream, too (if I do say so myself).

The fuzz made it a bit hard to really capture the facial features.  I did trim away a bit of the fuzz around the eyes and mouth but not a ton.  I want the face to be a little subtle.

The ice cream is faux fur that ribs trimmed into it.  It was manufactured that way.  I think the fabric is meant to be used on clothing, maybe to make hand warmers (muffs) or trim on coats?  I'm not sure.  I just grabbed it up out of the remnant bin because I like playing with faux fur but I don't like paying full price for it.

The cone is wool blend felt with hand embroidered waffle marks.  I made the ice cream so it had a bottom hump that would hang down into the cone but I still had to stuff the cone a tiny bit.  And let me just tell you, the cone was the hardest part of this whole dotee.  I can't do mathy stuff at all.  So I had to try and fail a bit making the cone shape (graph paper is my savior) until I turned to google to figure out why my shape (a triangle) just wasn't working.  DUH.  You can't make a true cone shape from a triangle.  A cone is part of a circle.  See, told you I'm not mathy at all.  Once I had that figured out the cone shape was easy.

I wasn't overly concerned with it lining up perfectly since I wanted it too look like a waffle cone (and those things are never completely sealed off at the bottom).

The hangar is just some embroidery floss.  I tried to use my red and white striped bakery twine but after snapping one needle I gave up (haven't snapped a needle in a while).  The tail is just a bead on a string.

But it's a super cute bead.


Duh, what goes with ice cream?  A cow, of course.

I'm very happy with how this one turned out.  I can't wait to mail it off (but I want to send a whole mess of swaps at once so it's just hanging out in my swap box for now).

Next up?

A cat and a dinosaur (walk into a bar. . .)

No comments:

Post a Comment