Friday, July 8, 2016

For a Swap: Scallop Bag

Made this bag for a swap.  We all had to use THIS pattern.

My partner likes fall colors so I went hard core fall.

A few notes about the pattern.  I'm not a fan of how the bottom row of scallops get caught in the bottom seam.  It's designed that way but I just don't think I like the look that much (I don't hate it but it just feels "wrong" to have the scallops caught in the bottom seam, like you sewed it incorrectly).

This bag also takes a pretty good bit of fabric so it gets a wee bit bulky when sewing.  Nothing too crazy but just a note.  The biggest snag for me was the handles.  I wanted them to match the body fabric but they are WOF long.  I was working with a scrap of that body fabric so I simply did not have enough.  Had to make a special purchase to get more (no biggie).  Since I was getting more handle fabric, I splurged to get some perfect lining fabric, too.  I was tempted to make a patchwork lining using the scallop fabrics but when I spied that tree fabric I had to get it for the lining.

I do really like the top stitching along the top of the bag (you stitch the lining down along the top and it gives a great look and is super easy).  I also really like the way the handles look once attached but they were a tiny bit tricky to work on the machine.  But part of that could have been me being dumb (sometimes I have to do something ass backwards once to realize I'm doing it the "dumb way").

See, that fabric is the BOMB.  And you can see the top stitching.  I don't know what it is but that top stitching just looks more professional versus "homemade".  Yes, it's a simple bag that is meant to be more of a homemade look but that little touch just makes it look like you really put some effort into the bag.

I don't know that I'd make this pattern again just for no reason.  It requires larger cuts for the body/lining/handles and I don't have 1/2 yard cuts in my stash (as much as I have fat quarters) and it requires home decor weight for the outside body fabric.  You can use regular cotton (the bag I got from my partner was made that way and it was perfect) but the home decor/canvas does give it a more sturdy appearance.  There's no lining/stabilizing in this so it's a floppy bag.  It's also not super roomy for the amount of fabric you have to use to make it.  (I'm thinking for charity sewing it might not be a good choice unless you wanted to make more special bags versus churning out as many bags as possible with the fabric you have. . .that's why I prefer the Green Bag Lady pattern for making true work horse style grocery bags, you get the most bang for your fabric).  That said, these would be cute bags to make for girly girls.  They'd be so cute done in princess prints or some such cuteness (yes, I totally thought of making a cat themed one, it would rock as a crazy cat lady bag).

What's up next?

Well, I'm not doing as many swaps right now.  I need to focus on my Fluff Sewing (I'm so behind. . .some many "in progress" things but not much actually finished) and I want to make a quilt for the Pets on Quilt show (in August) and I'm getting my vacation on the first week of August so. . .yeah, I need to focus on non-swap stuff right now.  First will be to get that quilt done.  The top is very close to done (just have to add some sashing between the blocks).  Then I can buy the backing fabric (need to measure the top first) then just finish it up.  I also have chameleons, puppies, and cats in progress for Fluff (and Mirabel) and then want to whip up some deer.  And 2 more zipper pouches (I had three left over from another project so I'll just round that out to make 5 items for my monthly sewing goal).  Busy, busy, busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment