Monday, July 25, 2016

Fluff Project UPDATE (finally got some stuff finished!)

I know, right?!

I've been so half assed with Fluff sewing this year.  I go in these crazy stops and starts but get very few completions under my belt.

Well, I finally got something done (over this past week. . .just took a bit to get it documented here).  Speaking of documenting things here I totally forgot to document the wiener dogs and ponies I finished for Fluff. . .more on that after I show off this patch of finished items.

Bowl of legs.  Mmmm.

I like this pattern because it's easy-ish.  Easy in that the actual sewing is straight forward.  Ish because there's a lot to do for each item (totally worth the work but still a lot of little things).  The body is pretty straight forward (the only "ish" part is dripping a bit of fray stop at two spots. . .totally not a big deal).  The bodies even stuff up fast, which is nice.  The legs aren't hard to do (they sew up easy and even turn/stuff well. . .nice "in front of the t.v." project).  The "ish" is with the buttons.  I sew them on before attaching the legs to the bodies.  Just a quick stitch (kind of like basting) but it's a time eater (not hard, just a time eater).  TOTALLY worth the effort, though.  Trying to attach the legs with loose buttons is a super pain in the butt.  Do. Not. Do. It.  Attaching the legs isn't hard either, just "ish".  Once I get the hang of it (usually takes two or three) it goes really smooth but those first few are annoying.

All that said, I don't want to make it sound like this pattern isn't worth it.  It's a GREAT pattern.  Hell, I wouldn't make it all the time if I hated it.  But if you're going to go to the "ish" of this pattern, you're better off to make a bunch of these at once so you can get the flow of the "ish" steps so they aren't as annoying.  (oh and I almost forgot to give everyone nostrils. . the whole time I felt like I was forgetting something and then I was looking at the pattern and BOOM, nostrils, duh!).

That there is a pyramid of TEN chameleons.  That's what I mean when I say do yourself a favor and just make a mess of these at once.  It's also fun because you get to pick out a mess of different fabrics which breaks up the monotony a bit.

This batch is ready for their closeups.


A pair of neon green twins.  This fabric was begging to be made into chameleons.  They aren't identical twins, though.  They have different buttons.  Similar, but different.  One has slightly lighter buttons but both have lighter colored base with darker stripes.

One orange batik and one funky geometric print.  Batik has a very basic button since she's so fabulous she doesn't need a flashy button.  Geometric (which I think is a cotton+steel print, if memory serves) has some fancier buttons.  They were kind of heavy, too.

Two more pairs.  Floral and fireworks.  The florals have different buttons.  One has a flower shaped button (so cute!) and the other has a light gray button.

Mugging for the camera!  The fireworks chameleons have different buttons, too.  One has a very basic semi-clear button and the other has a red rimmed button.  (and yes, they have nostrils you just can't see them)

Last but not least, the lone blue chameleon (I think that's a hand dyed fabric) with blue buttons and a very rare celery chameleon.  He has green legs because I didn't have enough celery fabric to make the legs.  I think it works but I'm not sold on mis-matched legs for every chameleon.  Bright yellow buttons for that fancy fellow.

What's next?

Well, I have two other patterns in progress right now.  First will be the cats.

I have ten of these (in different fabrics) about half done.  They are ready to have the limbs/tails turned and stuffed.  Then basted to the front body and the whole thing assembled.  Then turn and stuff the body (and close).  So I'd say that is about half done.

Then I have ten dogs that are a few steps behind that (they need faces added, then they'll be ready for final assembly, turning, stuffing, and closing.

THEN, I have a deer pattern picked out for the next item.  No steps have been done on them yet (just some preliminary fabric selections).

So what's the yearly count for Fluff?

5 Ewoks (documented here)
5 chameleons (documented here)
5 wiener dogs (need to share here)
5 ponies (need to share here)
Total:  20 items
Goal:  60 items

Time to get going.

But first I need to pause to finish a quilt I want to get done for the Pets on Quilts show.  Hoping to get that ready for final hand stitching on the binding before I go on vacation (next week).  That's a lofty goal but the show isn't until August (in the teens) so I still have time.  The top is done, the backing fabric selected (just have to piece it together, it's not wide enough) and then get my sandwich on.  The quilting will be straight line so it should go quickly.  Then I need to make the binding and put it on.  Ok, so when I see how much I still have to do I feel extra lazy for not even looking at it this weekend.  The heat had me just melted on my couch, snoozing away.  SO LAZY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment