Monday, December 19, 2016

What I made for Christmas!


The hubby requested (in a timely fashion, which is a christmas miracle in and of itself) some stuffed toys for The Bratlings (aka his nephews and niece) this year, so I obliged.

First up, for the Wee Brat (the youngest of the group, age approximately 2 years?  I really don't know his exact age nor do I lose sleep not knowing his age. . .he's a toddler that doesn't quite talk yet and is fairly skilled at walking though he bites it pretty good still).  Since the Wee Brat is still a "baby" he gets the simplest gift (much to my thrill!)




Pack Man inspired ghosts.  Like I said, super simple so I had to jazz it up a bit with the fruit print fabric on the back (prints on the front are pointless because it makes the face not as easily visible).  The eyes are just felt that was glued on (when I said simple, I meant it!) should Wee Brat take a gnaw on them, and he's still young enough that's highly likely.

Next up is She Brat (the niece, she's 4-5 years old?  again, not sure and don't really care either.  She's not yet kindergarten age but definitely older than the Wee Brat by a few years, so that age sounds about right)


I force the hubby to choose what to make The Bratlings based on patterns I have on hand (or if he finds a pattern on his own and it's in my skill set).

The "stripper turtle" (as it has be dubbed by me, because Stripper Turtle is fun to say, that would be the s.l.o.w.e.s.t. strip show EVER!) is from the book "Flip Dolls and other Toys that Zip, Stack, Hide, Grab, and Go" by Laura Wilson (no link cuz I ain't making free money for anyone here).  (oh and I think they need to add "strip" to that long ass title).

I've wanted to make that pattern for a bit but was up to my butt crack in other fluff sewing (of easier patterns that I've done before and know).  The pattern is ok but the instructions could be a bit more robust.  There's a lot of "assumption" in the instructions which made it a tiny bit confusing at points.  And sewing the face part of the turtle is a tiny bit tricky (not hard, just tricky because it's small).  I think I got some weird stretch in the fabric, too, because me turtle's face was a bit longer than the ones in the photos.  But I think they used heavier fabric for their turtles.  She still turned out ok, but I'd like to work the pattern a bit more to see if I can get a better result.

OH, and she's made with spinach print fabric and wearing a chocolate candy shell.  I love, love, love picking out fabrics for projects even if the recipients don't really even notice how effing fabulous my choices are (or I forget to point it out, because I'm modest like that).

She has three shells, which are very easy to make (the easiest part of the pattern).

Last but not least, for the O.B. (aka Original Bratling.  You may find it mean that I refer to the children as "bratlings" but it's a total term of affection from me.  Aunt Jenny is just not that into kids to start with and really, kiddos can handle being put in their place.  And all children no matter how special and wonderful and unique a snowflake they are, are brats at some point, so Bratling is a totally appropriate nickname.  That said, I don't refer to them as "bratlings" around their parents because they all as a collection have zero to no sense of humor and would be Deeply Hurt that I call a brat a brat, especially when that brat is THEIR brat. . but trust me, each and everyone of The Bratlings have lived up to their shared group nickname).

Oh, the O.B. used to be the bratling, but when the third kiddo came along I had to re-do my naming structure, so as the oldest the O.B. had to get a name change.  He's 7 (and the original) so he's currently my "favorite" (if I really do have a favorite, which I'm not sure I do).  That's only because he's more interesting than the younger ones because he has a more developed personality (and he's a nice kid).

The O.B. is deep into Pokemon and Jigglypuff is his jam right now.

So this happened.


I jigglied the effing puff out of that Jigglypuff, if I do say so myself.

I used the spider body pattern (from the Sweetbriar Sisters pattern).  It's the "mama" sized which is effing HUGE.  Ok, not huge but super big which was perfect for this project.  Jiggly is made with pick fleece and I just freehanded his features including his hair which turned out so freaking good.  If I made this again, I'd widen the ears a tad (so they didn't stand as tall) and make the back part smaller over all.

I did enlist the hubby to help with the eyes. I whipped up what was close to right and then he helped trim them and get them perfected before I glued them together then on (no annoying stitching for me cuz I'm lazy!).  How much to I love that the mouth is just a little bitty scrap of a scrap?  Right, that's some level ten recycling there, folks.

OH,and Jigglypuff there BOUNCES.  That's only because I stuffed the HELL out of him.  I did not tell O.B. this, lest he start winging Jiggly around the room (which he totally would if he knew he could get away with that crap with me).

No comments:

Post a Comment